Sharing my passion for handcrafted jewelry, paper making, and living a creative life.

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Trying Out Photo Transfers with Encaustic

This was another new technique for me with encaustic.  Actually I tried out a couple of new techniques in these two pieces.

Yawn of Fire - 6x8" Encaustic on cradled board


I had copies made of my poppy photos on a colour copier at the local stationery store.  The transfer is done by burnishing the photo, right side down, on to the warm wax.   After carefully removing the paper by gently rubbing with my fingertips and water and letting it dry, I heat fused the transfer to the layer of wax below.  This part is tricky because if you over do it, the toner dissolves away in the wax.

Papaver - 6x8" Encaustic on cradled board
Another technique I used in these two pieces was leaf printing.  After painting on a couple of layers of encaustic paint and fusing them to the layer below, I used poppy leaves to make impressions into the warm wax.  After painting over the leaves with another colour of encaustic paint and then fusing that layer, I removed the leaves from the still warm wax and then carefully fused the leaf prints.  Both pieces are embellished with poppy centres that I had pressed and dried in the spring.

4 comments:

  1. I would love this technique! I went to the web site for Andrea Bird and studied some of her pieces where she uses transfers! You have to quit teasing us with this medium!! I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these Poppy paintings. And thank you for sharing a bit of the process re transfer of the words and leaves. There is something otherworldly about encaustic painting that I love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz-Anna, I love this medium and the way you use it is beautiful! These are simply gorgeous!
    BTW...Thank you for your warm comment on my blog! I was looking for an email to contact you..pls share with me if you have one. LOL...Lovey

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great! And it's fascinating to read how they were created. You're making encaustics very tempting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave comments. It means a lot to me.