Sharing my passion for handcrafted jewelry, paper making, and living a creative life.

Monday, January 9, 2023

It's 2023! Time to turn those Negatives into Positives!

I seem to be making a habit of posting in January and then that's where it ends. I won't even promise to post more this year but maybe I'll surprise myself! Happy New Year to everyone (anyone?) who checks in!

If you are hoping this post offers some sage advise about turning around your attitude this year...sorry. But if you have made a resolution to do something with all those old negatives that have been haunting you for years, I have come up with a cheap and effective way to archive them on your computer. (Yes, someone else may have thought of this already.) All you need is a camera and a lightbox and basic photo editing software. I use Photo Studio. For the lightbox you can use an inexpensive commercial lightbox like the one sold by Stampin' Up or you can make one with some simple materials. Just do a search online for instructions.

Place your negative on the lightbox.

Take a photograph of the negative. I used my Android phone. (This isn't a great photograph to begin with but it was hard finding one that didn't have pictures of people in it).


 Send the photo to your computer. I just emailed mine and then saved it to my computer.

Open the photo file with your photo editing software and choose the 'Negative' option which will turn the file from a negative into a positive.

Crop as needed. Make any necessary adjustments to colour and balance.

Save the new positive to your computer.

For slides, just take a photograph of the slide on your lightbox and send it to your computer. Adjust image as necessary before saving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave comments. It means a lot to me.